I went out yesterday fully equipped for the first time to take some pictures using off camera flash. This is what I learned:
- Carrying a lightstand, umbrella and speed-light in one hand and your camera in the other leaves no available hand to pick up poop.
- There is a very small pocket of light that your subject needs to be in. Coulee is fantastic at taking directions but she doesn’t know how to move forward 2 steps or back 1 step… we have to work out a targeting system.
- Umbrellas catch the slightest breeze and fall over – a sandbag, or something is definitely needed. As is another arm to carry that with.
- Putting her on something is a great way to get her to be exactly where you need her to be.
- An assistant would really make things go smoother/faster.
- I have a lot more to learn.