Chapman went home for the holidays and will learn about the hazards! He has a Mommy, Daddy, even a Christmas Tree!!!
As the holidays approach, and the decorating begins… please remember to do so responsibly, and may your holiday be joyful and safe!!!
A few recommendations I strongly suggest when decorating your tree with pets in the home:
1. Avoid hanging any glass or breakable ornaments on your tree.
2. All decorations should be hung at least a foot above your pet’s eye level… if one was dangling in front of my face, I’d want to play with it, too!
3. Use bread or trash bag ties, as opposed to metal hooks, to hang decorations.
4. Secure your tree with a tether from the ceiling, wall, or both, depending on the size, to avoid it falling if a pet jumps up or knocks into it when playing. Try to restrict playing in the area of the tree… good luck! hahah
5. Do not leave any cords hanging or in sight of your pets. (See photo above – kitty immediately went for the hanging lights!)
6. Turn off all lights and decorations when leaving the room.
7. Avoid using any tinsel, icicles, or curly ribbon due to risk of choking, obstruction, and strangulation.
FURRY ANGEL SNEAKERS
This last suggestion is not tree-related, rather, shopping/gift bag-related…
Snip the handles of all bags, or cut them off completely.
Animals are very curious, and most will stick their heads right in the bags…
My kitty usually goes right through the handles; hence, my extreme caution.
In my home, there are no bags allowed!!! Also, discard any plastic bags… again,
to keep your pets safe from being strangled, ingesting plastic, and suffocation.
Please add any tips I missed in the comments below. Considering I’ve never had a Christmas tree, and this post is based solely on my observations and experience in pet-proofing others’ homes, I’m sure I’ve overlooked some. : )
See my previous blog post on Hanukkah Safety with Pets While Lighting the Menorah http://www.petsitusa.com/blog/?p=5771
Wishing everyone and their pets a very Happy Holiday…
Helping to keep beloved furry babies healthy and safe, and pet parents informed!
I’ve Got the ‘Scoop’!, LLC
MY FURRY ANGEL DAVID… THE SWEETEST GIFT I WAS GIVEN WAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO PROVIDE HIM WITH LOVE & CARE!!!